We hold two live, interactive workshops (aka SEASONS) each year. You can find the current course offering listed below and on the home page.
Self-guided and asynchronous offerings can be found at our site at TEACHABLE. Make sure you sign up for our FREE Snow White Sampler! Upcoming one-off lectures and events can be found on out EVENTS calendar.
THE SEASON OF THE WHALE
THE SEASON OF THE WHALE is twelve weeks long and includes five modules. This series of interactive and generative workshops offers and the opportunity to explore fairy tales, myths, and other traditional tales, paired with strange and marvelous concepts. You’ll have an opportunity to workshop five new stories, essays, and/ or poems, and a portfolio piece you’ve revised based on the workshop discussions. This is a supportive and generative workshop that combines reading, discussion, writing, and feedback.
THE SEASON OF THE WHALE materials:
- MODULE 1: Whale Tales & Marine Navigation
- MODULE 2: Love Like Salt & Saltworks
- MODULE 3: The Little Mermaid & Ocean Currents and Circulation
- MODULE 4: The Twelve Dancing Princesses & Human Genome Dark Matter
- MODULE 5: Princess and the Pea & Vegetable Electricity
To save a seat for Intersections: Science Fiction, Fairy Tales and Myth (THE SEASON OF THE WHALE), send an email request for an invoice to Carina Bissett at firstname.lastname@example.org. The fee to attend the workshop is $600, payable to email@example.com via PayPal. There is a $100 non-refundable deposit required to hold your spot with payment in FULL prior to the first class. Returning students receive a 10% discount. Space is limited. Workshops are capped at six participants per group (plus facilitator!)
12 Weeks (8/28-8/31 through 11/13-11/16)
SECTION I: Mondays, 9 am-11:30 am (PDT)/12-2:30 pm (EDT) FULL
SECTION II: Tuesdays, 4:30-7 pm (PDT)/7:30-10 pm (EDT) FULL
SECTION III: Wednesdays, 8 am-10:30 am (PDT)/ 11 am-1:30 pm (EDT) FULL
SECTION IV: Thursdays, 4:30-7 pm (PDT)/7:30-10 pm (EDT) OPEN
Note: Schedule subject to change based on participant availability. For conversion check https://www.worldtimebuddy.com/.
What you get:
- An introductory lesson exploring the history of the fairy tale, and various approaches to creating new works that draw on this rich and strange tradition.
- Five lessons that combine a tale and a scientific or cultural concept, each of which includes traditional and contemporary tales, writing prompts, and stimulus information about the paired concept.
- Twelve face-to-face workshops, delivered via Zoom and facilitated by The Storied Imaginarium’s passionate writers and teachers.
- Access to a private Facebook group where you can interact with your facilitator and fellow workshop participants.
- Access to a shared drive to upload your stories for workshopping.
- An opportunity to share and discuss five of your original stories (up to 3,000 words each), plus an extra week when you can resubmit one story (up to 5,000 words) you’ve revised on the basis of the workshop discussion.
- Written and oral feedback on the five stories + portfolio that you submit from both your peers in the workshop, and your workshop facilitator, including advice on potential markets for your work.
In this FREE self-guided online course, you will have the opportunity to explore the strange and marvelous variety of tales about Snow White, both traditional and contemporary. Course materials for the “Snow White Sampler” include discussion questions, writing prompts, and supplemental readings curated to provide an in-depth introduction to this familiar fairy tale. Click HERE to enroll today!